Saturday, December 20, 2014

As Time Goes By

     "As Time Goes By" became one of my favorite British Sit-Coms brought to us through our Public Broadcasting System.  For those who are familiar, I am sure you enjoy the laughter of the shows entertainment as I do.

     Working on my family history has become one of the highlights of my life.  Have you ever considered digging into your life history.  Discovery of ancestors may very well bring you a treasure chest full of information of your past as times goes by.  Questions geared towards curiosities -  where did we hale from,  were we royalty, were we commoners, or will we discover our family lines were mixed with a little of both?
     
     I have discovered that the term "Heinz 57" relates well to my situation.  I am the descendant of Nobility and Royals as well as former ancestors who struggled as Peasants and Commoners scratching out scraps as best they could to support their family.   We lived as Kings and we worked and slaved for Kings. I am by far nowhere close to being "Pure Blood"  nor do I posses any regrets.  I am blessed to be a descendant of many cultures who struggled to lay the foundation which brought about my existence.  Without them I would not be here and for that I am thankful. To all the rich and famous who traveled this world before me: Where did you hide my pot of gold?  To those who barely survived, thank you for never giving up.

     My surname Van Huss, is a variation in spelling of Van Husum which derived from a small town in the North West Corner of Germany just below Denmark.  The place is Husum, Germany.  We were originally Old Saxons.  From my research as far back as the 15 and 1600's we were considered Schleswigans not far from Schleswig, Germany.  My research has led me back to the discovery of our first Van Huss (Jan Fransse Van Husum) who took a wife by the name of Volkje Jurriaens ten years his minor.  Volkjes' family with the exception of a sister were lost during an enormous storm and flood hitting Noordstrandt, Germany, the coast of Denmark and included the city of Husum in 1634.  A multitude of thousands lost their lives due to this catastrophe.  Entire villages and farms were swept away along with livestock which they depended upon for living and survival.   Among the dead were the parents of Volkje Jurriaens and her sister Annetje,  Annetje was the only immediate family member who survived with her sister Volkje.    At the age of 31 Jan Fransse Van Husum and his wife Volkje set sail to America in 1639 after settling for a short while in Amsterdam following the flood.  This incurred an error we know as "guilt by association" developing the confusion that we are Dutch.  Annetje Jurriaens followed her sister and Jan to America shortly afterward.  It is said that Jan worked for the India trade company.  He and Volkje settled in New Amsterdam which we now know as the southern tip of Manhattan Island of New York.  Purchasing several acres of land in the Hudson Valley area they began our first line of American ancestors.  The Van Husums were a wealthy family and prospered for many years. Through out time the spelling of our name took on several variations.  Beginning with Van Husum and the following derivatives: Van Hoes, Van Hoesen, Vanhooser, Van Hoose and eventually Van Huss.   Mary Hoes Van Buren was mother to President Martin Van Buren.   Implications are said that the Hoes family is part of the Van Husum blood line. Hannah Hoes was wife to Van Buren. I personally do not have definite confirmation in favor or against, however there is the probability since one of the surname variations is actually Van Hoes.  We may never know for certain but on the other hand it is nice to know certain well known individuals may be part of your families history.





     I invite you to read up on the history of my ancestral land provided by the research of Wikipedia.org.  Hover your cursor over the address - Click on the link address below the picture. This is where my paternal heritage has led me so far. 

     When asked about my bloodline I can only answer,  I am full blood European mixed with a slight dabble of Native American Indian.  I am sure many of us share the same heritage in today's world.  
     
     We all at some time or another have had curiosity about our past.  Personally, my curiosity finally got the better and I dove in head first.  I have never regretted the time spent researching my family history and I fully encourage any who reads this post to take at least one hour out of their busy day to sit down and simply google your last name.  My start was through Wikipedia.  I hit a fortunate key stroke of luck and discovered a family researcher by using my last name as the trigger.  You may be surprised how much information you will come up with by executing that one step in life.  You need only the information you have while growing up.  Start with yourself, then one by one add parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc.  Build yourself a tree of knowledge.  You may find Nobility as well as cutthroats and thieves.  Humorously enough, I have found both.  All in all we have to consider the old saying "It takes all kinds".

     Good or bad we have them to be thankful for.  Those noble and not so noble ancestors gave us our gift of life.  They faced riches and the downfalls of trials, devastation and poverty which have kept the wheels of life turning for centuries.  Keep in mind however with pride there may as well be those who brought about disgrace.  My hope for all is to find more riches in their life blessed abundantly with the knowledge that they are someone special, unique and the required essence of life.

    I hope you will return as I continue the journey into the heritage of one man who has the blood of many cultures.  I am Saxon, German, Irish, Scottish, English, Russian, Prussian, Native American Indian and much more which I am sure I have yet to discover.  So I leave you with one thought:  As time goes by, Who am I?



No comments:

Post a Comment